Thursday, January 10, 2019

Fwd: HOW do you get it all done??

On Jan 10, 2019, at 1:06 PM, Brendon Burchard <support@brendon.com> wrote:
People were asking me this when I was working three jobs during college
Header


"But Brendon,
HOW do you get it all done??!!"


For 22 years, ever since I found "mortality motivation" through my car accident, people have asked me this question.

"I just don't get it, man," they say.

"How do you do it all and have any balance or happiness?"

People were asking me this when I was working three jobs during college to pay tuition. (And still managing to have friends and get good grades.)

They asked me this when I had my first job out of grad school, working for a big consulting company for 7 years. I was a dumb kid. But I got it done and people knew they could count on me.

They asked when I started writing books. Six of them now. (Promoting the books is actually harder than writing them -- launches take real strategic effort.)

They asked when I started my own training company and built one of the largest personal development companies in the world. It started with just me and a laptop. Now there's over 200 folks across four companies that I own or invest in to keep it all going.

They asked when I had a brain injury and managed, with tremendous difficulty, to keep churning out good work.

When I was broke, I was productive.

When I was sick, productive.

When I could just quit it all and retire on this pretty beach? Productive.

How? Why?

I wish it was easy to explain, but there's a lot that goes into my approach to productivity.

Because life isn't always easy, and we have a lot of things to do and give.

Here's the foundation for me:
 

  1. Motivation Mortality.
    "Death twitches my ear. 'Live,' he says. "I am coming.' - Virgil

    That quote is real for me. Twice, I've been in a hospital bed thinking I was going to die. I've had an adventurous life with plenty of injuries. I've lost a lot of people close to me. My dad. My mentors. Heros of mine. Friends. Life is just short, so I'm not going to fail to do something with this day. Real reverence for life shows up as time management.

     
  2. Service Mindset.
    " The servant leader is servant first. It begins with the natural feeling that one wants to serve, to serve first." –Robert K. Greenleaf

    I was 19, standing on the crumpled hood of a car bleeding out after a car accident. The last types of questions I remember asking myself were, "Did I matter? Was there a reason I was here? Did I make a difference?" I've never forgot that. I wake up every day and I go to work for you. That's been true, every day, for 19 years, since I began writing my first book in college. I live my life in service to the gift of a second chance I was given on this planet; and to the idea that I can help people improve their lives and achieve their goals faster because of what I've learned and continue to learn. When you are truly living in service to others, you do not struggle with getting things done and you do not bemoan the challenges when you have the opportunity to serve. Be positive as you serve and you stay productive.

     
  3. Strategic Thinking.
    "The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do." –Michael Porter"

    I think a lot about what not to do. But more importantly, I honor that thinking by avoiding things that are not true to my spirit, my goals for my clients, my brand, my family. I stay focused and remember to keep the main things the main things. I plan out far in advance - always looking to that distance, that horizon line of my dreams - and very few things can stop me or distract me from reaching that horizon.

     
  4. 5 Move Planning.
    "Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood and probably themselves will not be realized. Make big plans; aim high in hope and work, remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will never die, but long after we are gone be a living thing, asserting itself with ever-growing insistency." – Daniel Burnham

    I love this quote. Think big. Plan big. BUT, break it down. Work backwards. Because if you don't, no big dream will ever be realized. I personally believe ANY goal, no matter the size, can be broken down into what I call "5 Moves." That means you only need to do 5 big projects or activities to realize any goal. Each project or activity might have a lot of moving parts, but big picture there's only 5 moves to get anywhere. Forcing myself to think this way has simplified life tremendously and resulted in remarkable clarity and momentum.

     
  5. Recharging Goes in the Calendar.
    "We must free ourselves of the hope that the sea will ever rest. We must learn to sail in high winds." – Aristotle Onassis

    I personally believe that life is full of chaos, and that external chaos will never subside. But chaos does not need to reign within. Part of my productivity amid the madness of life is scheduling a lot of breaks. I take a break every 50 minutes when working. I sleep 8 hours. I meditate once or twice per day. I take a walk every day. I schedule a trip with my wife every 90 days. I take a lot of afternoons off to wander my city. I breathe a lot. I work out a lot. During these times, I let my mind wander, too, and I let my soul recharge. I stay mindful in the moment during breaks and don't think about to-dos. In that way, I'm always recharging. I don't wait until the gas tank is empty. I recharge so I never burnout.

     
  6. I'm Always Learning a Better Way.
    "Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better." – Maya Angelou

    I don't think I'm Mr. Know It All. In fact, I'm always calling myself a simple kid from Montana. But what has taken my life to another level is an unfailing commitment to my own self-directed education. I read books. I'm at the seminars. I listen to the podcasts and watch the TED talks and network with the do-ers. This perspective gives me an unfair advantage. If you're always learning, you tend to outpace those stuck in old ways.


Like this? Want my ENTIRE PLAYBOOK for other-worldly productivity? Then join my new Productivity Masterclass!

Announcing 2019 Productivity Masterclass!
Header

Get Transformation Week Recordings
FREE when you signup for Productivity Masterclass!

Brendon's 2019 Productivity Masterclass includes 3 productivity courses for the price of one!

Signup today and you receive:

  • Course #1: Transformation Week replays and worksheets in a private member's area, so you can watch anytime at your own pace.
  • Course #2: Advanced training on building the right HABITS proven to lead to long-term success in any field.
  • Course #3: Tactical productivity training for how to strategize your biggest goals and identify the projects and activities needed to achieve them faster. This is how you learn to master the calendar and each and every step toward accomplishing your dreams.
  • Free ticket to High Performance Academy, March 14-17th, in Phoenix, Arizona. (Hurry though - only while seats remain!)
  • Free group coaching session with a Certified High Performance Coach to identify where you should focus on improving your life the most, and HOW to do it.
This limited-time offer includes over $900 in training and bonuses for just $297.

Register for Productivity Masterclass!
Hey - you're awesome. I love creating training for you. Hit reply if you need anything, we always have your back. Of course, you can unsubscribe, just please be careful, bc that means I can't deliver your emails anymore, even for things you asked/paid for, as all our services are tied to your email address. But you can reach me anytime at support@brendon.com or PO Box 5368 Portland, OR, 97228. PSS. I'm announcing something BIG Jan 31st 2019. You'll want to stick around :)

No comments:

Post a Comment